Welcome to Lift Your Heart With Smiles!!

I'm so very glad you took the time to stop by. This is a place where I hope everyone can find something to lift their heart. Be it a photo, an inspirational note, a story that helps us laugh at those not-so-funny moments in life or something to help lift our spirits and our faith.


Monday, April 14, 2014

Weather the Storms



It has been way too long since I last added a post to my blog.  Tonight I am battling insomnia - and at the moment losing the battle.  So I decided to see if I could empty my head of all the thoughts that are running rampant and keeping me awake. 

Yesterday I drove a couple hours from my home to a small town (pop. 1400) in Arizona to take pictures.  I found a walking trail along the San Pedro River bed that led through a forest of very old and very large mesquite trees.  These trees have stood the test of time, weathered the winds. floods. and storms, and yet, continue to grow each year.  This tree reminded me of my life when at times I feel I am being pulled in every direction.  In fact most of the time my mind is split out in so many "multitasking" directions it is a miracle I get anything completed.  And yet, I do.  As I stood in the quiet of this forest and looked at this tree and many others that were twisted and bent, I could not help but think how God works in such mysterious ways - not only in nature but also in our lives. There were limbs that had been broken and split and although they turned downward to the ground, a small part of the limb stayed attached to the tree.  This allowed the fallen to continue to live, to grow new branches and leaf out with the beautiful green leaves each year.  

How many times have I felt broken or split?  How many times have I felt beaten down and did not think I could go on?  Too many I am afraid, but just like these trees, I found a way to keep moving forward and live.  Trying to grow and learn from the experience is the only way I know to keep moving and face yet another day.  It is not easy - oh no, it is not easy, but every day I pray and talk with God asking Him to help me face yet another day. I ask Him to help me be strong and to grow.  I ask Him to help me bring joy to others because that is one area where I find my joy.  By helping others and bringing them even just a moment of joy in their day, it helps me to feel better, to feel as if my life matters. So many times in the low points of my life I wonder if my life really matters.  Oh sure, my family and close friends would probably miss me if I were gone, but they would move on with their lives.  So each day I pray that I can help make a difference in the lives of my family and friends and those I come in contact with each day.  Bringing them a smile on a day when they are down, a hug when things are tough in their lives, or just a kind word to the person at the checkout counter when my wait has been long and the people in front of me upset or impatient.  It does no good to be angry or short with the checkout person.  I truly believe that they are doing the very best they can at that time and in that situation. None of us really knows what the other person has on their life-plate at that time. So just like God helps these weathered old trees to continue with their lives and to continue to grow and bring beauty to the world, God is always there for us to help us and He expects us to be kind, to bring joy, and to love one another just as He loves us - even when we make mistakes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment